Suffolk, a 12th century castle , the outer walls and 13 towers still remaining almost unchanged, was built by the Bigod earls of Norfolk as a fortified residence, belonged in 16th century to Queen Mary Tudor and was later used as a school and also as a poorhouse; now a museum
Eltham, London, was a royal palace built in 14th and 15th centuries, King Edward II first used Eltham in 1311 as a royal residence and Henry VIII also enjoyed the Palace spending much time here in his early life, In 1930s Stephen and Virginia Courtauld had the house redesigned adjoining the medieval Great Hall with an ultra-modern Art Deco home. After WW2 the Army educational units occupied the site until 1992, and the whole property was re-opened in 1999 after a three year period of restoration.
Stonehaven, Grampian, stands on a real dream of a castle site – a hard red rock full with a variety of large pebbles and rocks like raisins in a fruitcakephoto packed there 400 million years ago; in late 14th century Sir William Keith, the Marischal of Scotland built there a tower house, which was later followed by numerous other fortifications and buildings ; in 1651 the Scottish Crown Jewels were successfully protected here against Cromwell’s army; today the castle is an impressive and romantic ruin , “a must for anyone who takes Scottish history seriously”!
Dumbarton , Strathclyde, stands on a volcanic rock, which has a longer recorded history as a stronghold than any other place in Britain;was the centre of the independet British kingdom of Strathclyde from the fifth century until 1018;
Situated in Leominster, Herefordshire, is a 17th century stone quadrangular fortress, built close to the site of the old medieval castle. At each corner of the high curtain wall is a small round tower, with a small square tower flanking the north side. The Croft family have lived here since before the Norman invasion. It is thought that the Norman family de Croft came over during the time of Edward the Confessor, and by the time of Domesday, a Bernard de Croft held the land. Although now run by the National Trust, members of the Croft family still live in the castle and on the estate, thus continuing the ancient family association. Croft was re-opened to the public in April 2003 after a year long facelift. Continue reading “Croft Castle (Best pics)”
Penrith, Cumbria, (pronounced ‘ broom ‘), was started in Henry II’s reign on the site of a Roman fort, and renovated in 17th century by Lady Anne Clifford , who died there in 1676; later the castle was partly demolished and any usable materials were sold in 1714, but again partly restored in 1930’s