Fife, Scotland, home of the family of the Strathmore and Kinghorne since 1372, the childhood home of Queen Elizabeth The Queen Mother and the birthplace of The Princess Margaret; building of the present castle started about 1400; magnificent palace-like rooms with fine plasterwork ceilings; an interesting museum called “The Family Exhibition”; extensive park with Italian Garden
Address: Dundee Rd, Glamis, Forfar, Angus DD8 1RJ, UK
During medieval times the manor of Belton was owned by St Mary’s Abbey at York but, after the Dissolution of the Monasteries, the land reverted back to the Crown. No architectural evidence has been found of the original manor house, if indeed there was one, but the surviving gate piers of a post-Dissolution residence can still be seen in the north wall by the Orangery. In the late 17th century, having inherited most of his great-uncle’s wealth as well as his estate at Belton, Sir John Brownlow decided to build a new country house for his family. Several architects have been associated with Belton House, including Sir Christopher Wren, but it is more feasible that William Winde and William Stanton were largely responsible for the design and construction of the property, possibly seeking advice from Roger Pratt.