Lincolnshire, was the home of the Brownlow Cust family since it was built in 1685-88. In 1984 the house was given to the National Trust, but the principal family collections like silver, paintings, the complete library and the outstanding items of furniture remain in Belton. There are paintings by Titian, Reynolds, Romney, Lord Leighton, Boucher.
Bánffy Castle is a baroque building of the 18th century in Cluj-Napoca, designed by the German architect Johann Eberhard Blaumann. Built between 1774 and 1775 it is considered the most representative for the baroque style of Transylvania.
Since 1951, the palace has housed the National Museum of Art Cluj-Napoca, which includes, in its Virgil Cioflec collection the works of arts of many important Romanian artists, such as Nicolae Grigorescu, Ştefan Luchian, Dimitrie Paciurea, Theodor Pallady, Camil Ressu and other.
The Baroque Palace of Oradea, also known as Palatul Baroc Oradea, Muzeul Ţării Crişurilor (Romanian: “Museum of the Rivers Country”) or The Bishopric Palace of Oradea, is located, as the name implies, in the city of Oradea in Bihor county, Romania. It was founded in 1762 by the Baron Bishop Adam Patachich, as The Roman Catholic Bishopric Palace of northern Transylvania. Illustrious Viennese architect Anton Franz Hillebrandt, designer of many Austrian palaces and one of Europe’s 18th century best, designed the palace and planned the city’s posh side as Baroque quarter, while engineer A.J. Neumann was in charge of the palace’s massive construction, complete with its 365 exterior windows resembling the days of the year and 120 large, extravagant rooms distributed on three floor plans. The complet wiki article
Iassy (Iasi) is the old capital of Moldavia Kingdom, now part of Romania. The Palace of Culture, acknowledged as effigy of the city of Iasi, was built in the neogothic style and as such was one of the last expressions of Romanticism in the official architecture.
Although it was not raised on top of ancient foundations, as people thought at the beginning of the 20th century, the Palace was partly built on top of the ruins of the mediaeval princely courts, mentioned in a document of 1434, and partly on top of the foundations of the former (neoclassical) palace, dated to the time of Prince Alexandru Moruzi (1806-1812), rebuilt by Prince Mihail Sturza (1841-1843) and finally demolished in 1904. It was from this latter building that the Palace inherited the legend of the 365 rooms, as many as the days within one year.
The Bethlen castle is located in a beautiful park at the bottom of the citadel hill, across the street from the beautiful turn-of-the-century Administrative Palace (Prefecture). Since 1882, the castle houses the history department of the County Museum, with artifacts and displays from Antiquity, Middle Ages and up to the present. Currently the castle is undergoing restoration and the museum is being temporarily housed in the Administrative Palace.
The Old Court (Curtea Veche)
Near Dâmboviţa, the river that runs through Bucharest’s heart, there are the vestiges of the Princely Court, the oldest medieval monument in Bucharest. Built of brick in the second half of the 14th century, the city was expanded and surrounded by a defense wall during the reign (the 15th century) of Vlad “Dracula” Ţepeş, the Wallachia ruler.
Also known to the Romanians as The People’s House, The Palace of Parliament, completed between 1984 and 1989 due to the maniacal fervency of the communist president Nicolae Ceauşescu, has become the best-known and most-visited tourist site in Bucharest. Situated in the historic and geographic center of the city, on top of a hill, the Parliament Palace, having a 330,000 m² surface and a 2,550,000 m³ volume, represents the second public building in size, after Pentagon.
Its construction required demolishing a quarter of the historic center of the Capital and demanded a huge financial, as well as human, effort. More than 20.000 workers, and hundreds of architects, worked to raise the colossal edifice. At this moment, the Palace of Parliament houses Romania’s Parliament, numerous conference halls and exhibition spaces, and also The National Museum of Contemporary Art. To have an idea of the vastness of the construction, you must know that it has 12 floors and 4 underground levels, 1,100 rooms, an anti-atomic shelter, and each room has between 300 and 500 m².
Monumental sculptures, decorative floors, and laced ceilings all make up rooms, galleries and pompous halls in a mixture of traditional Romanian, Baroque, Gothic and Renaissance elements.
The huge investment in its construction and perpetual upkeep makes the Parliament Palace one of the most controversial buildings in the world.
www.cdep.ro/cic/ See also: Palatul Parlamentului (Foto), Casa Poporului (Foto)
Built in 1702 by Constantin Brâncoveanu, one of the most important rulers of Wallachia, known as a great protector of culture, Mogoşoaia Palace is the perfect representation of the style whose name is related to that of the ruler’s, the Brâncovenesc style.
Situated in a superb garden, the Cotroceni Palace presents the architectural design of a distinct unity. Built around a monastery constructed by Şerban Cantacuzino at the end of the 17th century, the whole construction reflects 3 centuries of Romanian history.