Padiham, Lancashire, a three-storey Jacobean house, was built in 1605 as the home for the Shuttleworth family. Between 1850 and 1852 the Hall was restored by architect Sir Charles Barry, who also designed the Houses of Parliament. Rachel Kay-Shuttleworth was the last member of the family to live at Gawthorpe. After her death the house and grounds were given in 1970 to the National Trust. Kay-Shuttleworth’s nationally important collections of the needlework, lace, textiles and costumes are housed here.
Kent, rebuilt into fantasy castle c. 1800, famous for its various collections: Buddhistic objects, Egyptian antiquities, Japanese swords, Stuart and Jacobite relics. Pictures
Kent, since 1922 Sir Winston Churchill’s home; a collection of his paintings. Photos here.
Yorkshire, built by Sir John Vanbrugh , the location of ‘Brideshead Revisited’ , an impressive Great Hall and fabulous collection of art; Howard Palace Photo Gallery
Macclesfield, Cheshire, home of the Bromley-Davenport family and their ancestors since Domesday times; the original Hall was designed by Smiths of Warwick between 1719-1732, altered by Blore in 1837 and finally Salvin rebuilt the centre after a disastrous fire in 1861; a fascinating collection of paintings, sculptures and furniture, extensive park and gardens; in a beautiful Georgian Chapel dating from 1719 services are still held.
London, the official London residence of Britain’s sovereigns, was originally a town house owned by the Dukes of Buckingham. King George III bought Buckingham House in 1761 for his wife Queen Charlotte and Queen Victoria was the first sovereign to take up residence in July 1837. The Palace is furnished with fine works of art from the Royal Collection including paintings by Vermeer and Rembrandt. The State Rooms are open to the public each year in August and September, the Royal Mews is open throughout the year. The Queen’s Gallery is currently closed for redevelopment and will reopen on 22nd May 2002.
Selkirk, Borders, Scotland; the estate was granted to the Douglas family in 1322 and reverted to the Crown in 1450 as a favourite hunting ground; in 1550 the Scott family became the owners and after a marriage in 1720 between the Scotts and the Douglases the land was restored to the Douglas-Scott family. The present owner is John, 9th Duke of Buccleuch; the present house was built in 1812 with additions in 19th century; an excellent collection of paintings by Gainsborough, Reynolds, Canaletto, Guardi, Van Dyck