Tag Archives: 18th century

Floors Castle in Scotland

Situated in Kelso, Borders, Scotland, the home of Duke of Roxburghe

see details on G+: https://plus.google.com/111344947574217661132/photos?hl=ro

Floors Castle

Continue reading Floors Castle in Scotland

Farnborough Hall

In Warwickshire; Ambrose Holbech bought Farnborough in 1684 and the Holbech family still lives in the house. The house was rebuilt in early 18th century and more space was made for the sculpture and art William Holbech brought back from his Grand Tour. He also wanted the house look more like the houses he had seen and loved in Italy. The interior rococo plasterwork is quite outstanding. The paintings by the old masters (Canaletto, Panini) have been replaced by copies while the originals were sold in 1929. The garden has two charming 18th century temples and a beautiful terrace walk. The house was passed to the National Trust in 1960.

Farnborough Hall

Duncombe Park (in Yorkshire, UK)

Helmsley, Yorkshire, is an impressive early-18th century house and family home of Lord and Lady Feversham, has one of the finest Baroque landscapes in England. The house is surrounded by gardens and parkland which contains many magnificent old trees and a national nature reserve. Following a major fire in 1879 the house was rebuilt with care and superb workmanship, largely to the original design. The house was let in 1924 as a girls’ boarding school for 60 years, after which extensive restoration of the buildings and the interiors took place. The family pictures and the collection of English and Continental furniture are on show and the principal rooms remain a fine example of the type of ‘grand interior’ popular at the turn of the century.

Continue reading Duncombe Park (in Yorkshire, UK)

Dalemain House (pics)

Penrith, Cumbria, home of the Hasell family for over three centuries; the house was started in 12th century as a pele-tower, the early Georgian front and the elegant rooms were completed about 1750; Yeomanry Museum with military relics and mementoes

Continue reading Dalemain House (pics)

Montagu Palace (Beaulieu Abbey)

daffodils

Formerly the 14th century Great Gatehouse of Beaulieu Abbey, Palace House is set in glorious grounds and gardens with immaculate spreading lawns and walkways overlooking the Beaulieu River. The House has been in Lord Montagu’s family ownership since 1538, when Sir Thomas Wriothesley, later 1st Earl of Southampton, bought the Estate after the Dissolution of the Monasteries.

Lord Henry Scott, the first resident owner of Palace House, extended it in the 1870’s to accommodate his growing family. The architect was Sir Arthur Blomfield and the House you see today is a mixture of Victorian Gothic, medieval Gothic and 18th century fortification styles.

victoriansOur Victorian staff bring Palace House to life …The monastic origins of the House are evident and, once inside, visitors soon succumb to its friendly atmosphere as they view the many splendid and varied family treasures, portraits, photographs and memorabilia.

Above all, Palace House remains a family home still lived in by the present Lord Montagu and his family and much loved by them.

Burton Constable Hall

Burton_Constable_Hall1

Yorkshire, was built during the reign of Queen Elizabeth I and is the ancestral home of the Constable family, who have lived here since the house was first built. Many alterations were made to the house during the 18th century and the surrounding park was landscaped by ‘Capability’ Brown. Nearly 30 rooms are open to view, the interiors are filled with fine furniture, paintings and sculpture, a library of 5,000 books and an unusual ‘cabinet of curiosities’.

Broadlands

Hampshire, an 18th Century mansion and parkland, once the home of the Palmerstons and the Mountbattens. One of England’s most elegant stately homes, created by Lancelot ‘Capability’ Brown in 1767-80. For the visitor there is an exhibition and audiovisual on life of Lord Mountbatten. The house has a special place in the affections of British royalty. Both the Queen and Prince Philip and the Prince and Princess of Wales spent part of their honeymoons here.

Broadlands_House1

Braemar Castle (Scotland)

braemar_castle

photo gallery Braemar Castle

Grampian, Scotland, near the River Dee, was built in 1628 and rebuilt after the fire of 1689; purchased by the Farquharson in 1732 and still owned by the family. Largely rebuilt and garrisoned with English troops in 18th century. Spiral stone staircase leading to the principle rooms.