Gladstone’s Land

Lawnmarket_Edinburghin the Royal Mile , Edinburgh, represents urban Scottish high-tenement housing from 17th century.

WIKI: The “Land” (sited at 477 Lawnmarket) was originally built in 1550,[1] but was bought and redeveloped in 1617 by a prosperous Edinburgh merchant and burgess Thomas Gledstanes. The work was completed in 1620. Its prominent siting (on the Royal Mile between Edinburgh Castle and the Palace of Holyrood) and the extent of its accommodation mark out the affluence of its mercantile owner. However, not only did Gledstanes reside there, he let out parts of the building to an assortment of tenants of different social classes (another merchant, a minister, a knight, and a guild officer[2]). Thus the restored building allows an insight into varieties of Edinburgh life of the period. The cramped conditions of the Old Town, and the physical size of the lot, meant that the house could only be extended in depth or in height. As a result, the house is six storeys tall.[3] [source]

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *